Production Editor, Opinion
About the Team:
The SCMP Opinion team is diverse, insightful and multi-skilled. We are responsible for commissioning, editing and publishing a wide variety of op-eds and letters that offer a unique, balanced and intelligent perspective on topical issues affecting Hong Kong, mainland China and the rest of the world.
Purpose of the Position:
The SCMP Opinion Desk is seeking a talented and experienced production editor with online and print skills, and a news and business background
In this role, you will:
- Careful, sensitive copy editing, checking facts, rewriting and improving op-eds and readers' letters, ensuring copy is error-free
- Craft top-notch SEO headlines, include eye-catching visuals to produce a complete package for the online edition
- The ability/desire to step up when required to the roles of letters editor and op-ed check sub
- Use analytical tools to ensure the right stories are delivered in a timely way
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- Minimum 3 years' experience in a real-time online news operation, wire service or newspaper is essential: NO beginners considered
- Strong familiarity with the Hong Kong/mainland China/Asia context of both news and business/finance
- Business news experience, preferably in HK/mainland China/Asia
- Capable of turning around raw copy fast when needed and the patience to work constructively with contributors for whom English may not be a first language
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy, and of social media as a news dissemination tool
- Can-do attitude with top-notch English subbing skills and zero tolerance for errors in grammar, spelling and content
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Previous experience on an op-ed desk preferred; Chinese-language skills an advantage
- Able to work occasional weekends
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.