Production Editor, Culture
About the Team:
The Culture team’s main responsibility is to explain contemporary China through human interest stories.
Purpose of the Position:
- Responsible for accuracy and improvement of copy through editing, rewriting and fact checking under minimal guidance.
- Add value to copy through additional media and SEO analytics.
In this role, you will:
- Maintain accuracy of copy. Ensure copy is error-free and check facts.
- Ensure copy improvements through careful editing, rewriting and grammar checking.
- Add value to copy through additional media and eye-catching visual elements.
- Distil large volumes of gathered story materials into good stories.
- Observe output deadlines are met. Capable of turning around raw copy fast when needed.
- Follow assignment scheduling.
- Create and source engaging, reliable and shareable content.
- Collaborate closely with writers, graphic designers and other members of staff.
- Ensure that the Post is a leader in the coverage of cultural trends and cross-cultural currents.
- Excellent grasp of cultural trends in Hong Kong, Mainland China and the world.
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- Degree or above in Journalism, Communication, Language or related disciplines.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in real-time online news operation, wire service, newspaper, or newspaper production.
- Solid news judgement and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Good understanding of Hong Kong, the region, and international.
- Sophisticated English writing style. Flair for engaging copy and generating ideas.
- Ability to craft SEO heads and social media headlines that will boost traffic.
- Can-do attitude and attention to detail.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about digital technologies.
- Video editing experience is desirable.
- Knowledge of online production systems is desirable.
- Good command of written and spoken English. Fluency in Chinese and Cantonese is desirable.
- Broad knowledge of cultural trends and issues, including fashion, food & wine, arts, social movements and the media
- Extensive networks in cultural communities.
Work location will be in Hong Kong
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.