China Editor/ Deputy China Editor
About the Team:
The SCMP is looking for an experienced Editor/ Deputy Editor to join the team.
Purpose of the Position:
The role offers an opportunity to lead coverage of major news developments across China in a way that explains the nuances and unique contexts of individual societies for a global audience. Operating from our headquarters in Hong Kong or our office in Beijing, you will lead a high-performing team of reporters/ correspondents, copy editors across Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing, and a network of contributors responsible for the China desk, driving the news agenda daily and assigning in-depth features for production of all China content to ensure our coverage is accurate, timely and engaging for our Global audiences.
In this role, you will:
- Coordinate and manage the capacity of a team of journalists. Drive the news agenda for our China coverage through meticulous planning and close coordination with other Editorial teams
- Develop and deliver on strategies to grow coverage and readership across China and globally
- Use analytical tools to ensure the right stories are delivered in a timely way in the right formats to the right audiences
- Editing, checking facts, rewriting and improving copy with care and sensitivity; ensuring copy is error-free and has the relevant context for our global readership; crafting top-notch social headlines; ensuring all stories have the appropriate, accurate and eye-catching visual elements
- Scope for emerging themes, topics, people, research and opportunities and contribute to our editorial strategy
- Represent Editorial in cross-department projects related to China content, also represent SCMP at external conferences, events and meetings and actively build strong network of China contacts
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- Degree holder in Journalism or related disciplines
- Minimum 12 years of experience in a real-time online news operation, a wire service or a newspaper is essential
- Excellent knowledge about China’s history and its social, economic and political development
- Proven track record of news and team leadership, with experience reporting from an Asian country
- Fluency in both written and spoken Chinese and English with good communication skills
- Some travelling is required.
- Candidate with more experience will be considered as China Editor
Work location will be in Hong Kong or Beijing.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.