Reporter/ Senior Reporter, Technology
About the Team:
The technology desk at the Post is dedicated to cover China’s technology trends, businesses and people and their impact on the world. The desk’s coverage extends from big-picture stories such as the US-China technology rivalry to on-the-ground investigations into the rise and fall of Chinese technology startups. You will work as a member in a team of 15 reporters and editors in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, and you will also work closely with other desks within SCMP.
Purpose of the Position:
The South China Morning Post is seeking an experienced reporter in joining an aggressive and ambitious team to cover the intersection of technology and China’s rise, two seminal forces that are shaping our world today. The successful candidate will have a proven record of deep and incisive reporting that cuts through the noise, challenges conventional wisdom and tired narratives, and gets at the crux of an issue to deliver fresh insight to a sophisticated, global readership.
In this role, you will:
- Commit to telling the story of China’s technological ambitions, its biggest companies and the unique culture of the world’s biggest internet population.
- Drive deep and expansive reporting projects, and yet be nimble enough to dive into breaking news when needed.
- Build contacts to maintain a flow of news in the specific area, and attend press conferences and asking questions
- Seek out and investigate stories via different contacts, press releases and other media
- Conduct exclusive interviews with technology analysts and C-suite executives
- Write and research accurate stories on how new technology can change people’s lives and benefit economic development
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- Degree holder with minimum 2 to 3 years of reporting experience with major newsrooms
- Good knowledge of the Chinese economy and global technology trends
- Proven track record of producing deeply reported enterprise stories
- Strong team player and can work under stress and meet deadlines on a day-to-day basis
- Professional fluency in written Chinese and spoken Mandarin
Work location will be in Hong Kong, Shanghai, or Shenzhen.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.