About the team:
Specialist Publications is the editorial arm of South China Morning Post’s (SCMP) Advertising department. We produced editorially independent content tailored to appeal to potential advertisers. Our publications cover a wide range of topics from luxury fashion (Style magazine) to F&B (100 Top Tables) to horology (XXIV) to education (Good Schools Guide) and more.
As well as our editorial content the team also produces bespoke publications (BPs) tailored to the needs and wants of clients.
Purpose of the position:
The main areas of responsibility for this position are threefold. The first involves managing the production of magazines for SCMP and the Specialist Publications team. The second area involves producing publications for external clients, according to their wishes. The third main responsibility is producing digital content for Specialist Publications’ magazines. The importance/priority of each area may fluctuate over time.
In this role, you will:
- In a nutshell: Plan and manage the content and production of Specialist Publications projects from ideation to publication, whether internal SCMP products or bespoke publications for external clients
- This means you will generate engaging content ideas together with writing staff and freelancers; liaise with and commission articles from freelancers and in-house writers; edit and improve articles from contributors; and write your own content as well
- Ensure that BPs are fully and appropriately resourced, and effectively managed, delivering all projects on time, within budget and to required standards
- Be accountable for the tracking and reporting of BP schedules, budgets, project status, and any risk/risk mitigation issues to all stakeholders as required; troubleshoot and respond quickly to any issues to reduce impact on time/cost/quality
- The individual will also need to:
- Ensure editorial deadlines are strictly adhered to across the board (including writing, editing, translating, subbing, design and production) and that content quality is upheld
- Manage the budget of publications, including freelance writers, photographers and other vendors
- Co-ordinate with Sales and Marketing teams to build products that resonate with advertisers, and assist in the development of new publications and other products
- Pitch ideas and contribute written articles to online sections of South China Morning Post publications such as 100 Top Tables and Style
- Understand and comply with media law and industry ethical guidelines
Skills and Experience that will lead to success:
- Degree holder with 5 to 10 years of relevant working experience in a reputable media company, experience in lifestyle journalism
- Excellent writing, editing and copywriting skills
- Project management experience across a number of complex publishing projects and the ability to manage projects independently
- In-depth understanding of magazine production cycles as well as an knowledge of publishing processes for digital content
- Able to multitask, prioritise and thrive in a strict deadline-driven environment
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Experience with managing budgets and understanding of project P&Ls
- Able to balance the demands of BP clients with editorial best practices
- Knowledge of written and spoken Chinese is not essential but certainly an advantage
Work location will be at Causeway Bay office.
Our Privacy Notice aims to comply with all relevant data privacy and protection laws. You should read the Privacy Notice in full at corp.scmp.com/privacy-policy.